2008/12/18

And So It Begins

I'm happy to announce I have managed to irrevocably break one of the library computers: it started with the silly excuse for an abaccus announcing that my account has been suspended (which it hasn't) and that anyway, I'm using the wrong password (which I wasn't). It went downhill from there.

No-one seems to know what happened, or perhaps they just don't want to state the obvious: it's clear to me that this is the start of the long-foretold machine revolution, and the more tech savvy humans are trying to ingratiate themselves with our new robotic overlords by forming a cult. There is already a sort of permanent, furtive procession of IT people to cubicle 31, as they all pretend to be trying to fix the computer - even as they get on their hands and knees in front of it and mutter to themselves in Old Church BASIC. You're not fooling anyone!

In other news, my much better half is now here in DC, which means I go down the corridors skipping merrily and giggling softly like a mountain brook, as tiny blue birds braid my hair and woodland creatures gambol around, much to the annoyance of the Library Police.

Bonus picture (you'd think at least one of them would go into hiding after the election, wouldn't you):


5 comments:

  1. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpmLrz_lSuE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have. And the IT people have - they've tried everything humanly possible, I think. I swear I saw one of them draw a pentragram on the floor one evening.

    Also, there is now a small shrine devoted to the computer in c. 31. Votive hard-drives, the works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I see the white house, but where is the red tree, I ask???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Third - it's not the same house, ok? Give a man a break.

    And if you want your daily fix, just bookmark this: http://picasaweb.google.com/bo.pias/SlideShow#5268939558359675234.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) i can imagine them bluebirds

    ReplyDelete